Oral conscious sedations
- A procedure done in office as a means to alleviate fears for a child during the treatment appointment.
- Or "laughing gas," an inhaled sedative that is utilized on anxious patients to help make the treatment appointment very "easy."
- We utilized Baptist Physicians Center, Saint Joseph's East, and the Kentucky Surgery Center (all in Lexington) when necessary to complete work on children that have a lot of dental needs, are uncooperative in our office, or are special needs or medically compromised children.
Treatment of Children with Special Needs
- Part of our training is to take care of children with special needs. After an initial visit, we can continue to treat that child all the way through adulthood.
- We offer cleanings, fluoride treatment, sealants, and when necessary, try to restore teeth with preventative resin restorations (PRRs) before a full-blown cavity is present.
Tooth Colored Fillings
- When a cavity is able to be restored with a filling, we choose to use "white-colored" fillings that resemble the tooth.
- We recommend cleanings to all our our patients every six months, the same as is recommended for adults.
Oral Health Instructions
- Our assistants and doctors routinely review proper care of teeth, gums, and tongue at home.
- A faster radiograph allows for us to manipulate x-rays on our computers looking for any possible issues associated with the teeth, gums, or surrounding bone. Also, digital radiography is known to reduce exposure to radiation by at least 70%, and in some cases even more.
- The benefits of fluoride in water have been documented as on of the biggest medical advancements of the 20th century. In-office fluoride treatments are available every six months at recall appointments.
- A preventative measure that is recommended for all of our patients when their permanent six-year and twelve-year molars begin erupting.
- In the event that a primary tooth must be extracted, space maintenance may be recommended to help decrease the shifting of teeth and decrease the chances in that area of the mouth for orthodontics.
Treatment of Thumb, Finger, and Pacifier Habits
- Options are available to help a child that is having trouble breaking such habits so that their permanent teeth positions are not influenced.
- It's always important for us to make sure that the child's teeth look great so we match up filling color to existing tooth color. And as kids get older, bleaching is an option for our teenage patients if they are interested.